Hi Everybody! Wow! We’ve been so busy I haven’t had time to sit down and write my blog!  I’m going to have to make a New Year’s resolution about blogging every month, I think.

My good friend Dr. Gus from University Animal Hospital asked me to tell you about Christmas foods and your four-legged family members. He says to please be careful about what you feed us.  I put everything he told me below.

All of us at Lost Our Home want to wish you a Happy Hanukkah, and a Merry Christmas and Happy all of the Holidays! You give us gifts every day by adopting our furry friends and making donations.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Dr. Gus’ Holiday Foods Info:

Keep the pets out of the holiday food

By Dr Tom Gus
Holidays are stressful enough for people, just imagine what they do to your pets.

That’s why veterinarians at University Veterinary Hospital have issued a list of the foods and activities pets should avoid and how their owners can help them.

Among the helpful hints:

*Pets appreciate a place to hide. Put your pet in a quiet room and provide them with bedding, food water and toys.

*Decrease surrounding noise by playing music or turning on the TV. Check on them often, and provide them frequent bathroom breaks.

*Drinking or eating unusual things can cause gastrointestinal upset, toxicity, pancreatitis or serious gastrointestinal complications that may require surgery.

*Keep garbage secure such as under a cabinet or in a pantry.

*Make sure all decorating materials are out of reach. Some cats especially like string or tinsel from Christmas trees, which is hazardous if ingested.

*Do not allow your pet to drink out of the Christmas tree basin.

*Seasonal plants, such as ivy, holly and mistletoe, are poisonous to dogs and cats.

A lot of human food can cause severe illness to pets if ingested. Those foods include chocolate, caffeine, onions, leeks, shallots and chives, garlic, avocado, Xylitol (a sugar substitute found in sugarless gum and candy), grapes and raisins, mint flavors, nuts and animal bones, which can splinter and cause GI impaction.

Enjoy the holidays with your pets but be safe.